1. Yelena Isinbayeva (Pole Vault) got the bronze medal. No one, including herself, came close to her World record height of 5.05m.
2. Sunette Viljoen came 4th (Javelin). Lolo Jones came 4th (100m hurdles). In fact, this is for all athletes who came 4th in the history of the Olympics – I salute you – it can be worse than coming last. Although credit to Lolo, she looked to be having a ball during the closing ceremony.
3. The rich country’s got all the medals… again. Although truth be told, with the recession, who is really rich and poor anymore. Added to that, the USA doesn’t give their athletes any reward for achieving a medal (no matter the color) – but then again it’s all about sponsorships – let’s not get into the whole ‘companies/corporations that are richer than countries’ fiasco.
4. The whole Usian Bolt – Carl Lewis “feud”. Usually I laugh at anything Bolt does – what else can you do – but this whole business is getting boring.
5. The closing ceremony. I was scratching my head during a lot of the proceedings; impressed with the talent on display, but it did seem a little haphazard at times, or was that the plan… And what was the deal with the fashion models – okay, so that was part of London’s contribution to the world, but at the Olympics? – A tad superficial perhaps… and The Spice Girls – REALLY. I, like so many others, was waiting for Adele, but since she’s somewhere at home pregnant (another disappointment to men, though granted, she is happy so…, not to mention mankind, deprived of her voice for who knows how long) alas, that turned out to be a false hope.
On a positive note though, I leave you with these beautiful images…